Self-styled Hizb ops commander Itoo killed in encounter

Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.

SRINAGAR, Aug 13 (PTI): In a jolt to Hizbul Mujahideen, its three militants, including self-styled chief operations commander Yasin Itoo alias ‘Gaznavi’, were killed in an encounter that began on Saturday night and also claimed the lives of two armymen in Shopian district of South Kashmir.

Following a tip-off to the local police, a cordon was laid in Awnira village of Shopian on Saturday night by the Special Operations Group of the Jammu and Kashmir Police, Army and the CRPF.

Militants fired at the approaching security personnel, wounding five Army personnel, two of whom later died. This prompted the security forces to wait till dawn while keeping a tight cordon around the area before launching a major strike.

Intermittent firing continued the whole night, and the operation began in full swing in the morning. All three terrorists holed up were killed. They were identified as Irfan, a tech-savvy militant involved in online propaganda for the militant outfit, and Umar, who was personal security man of Ghaznavi.

Itoo, from Budgam district of central Kashmir, had a long association with Hizbul Mujahideen and was involved in keeping alive the prolonged unrest of 2016 following the killing of group’s commander Burhan Wani in an encounter with security forces, besides recruiting several young men into the outfit, police said.

He was identified by his family members who were brought to the scene of the encounter by police from their residence in Budgam.

Itoo, often called a ‘vintage militant’ as he joined Hizbul Mujahideen in 1996, had surrendered in 2007 and later released on parole in 2014. He joined the militant group again and was its self-styled chief operations commander.

One Kevyt Konekivaan (KK) series rifle used by Itoo and two AK series rifles were recovered from the encounter scene.

Security forces launched a cordon and search operation yesterday following information about the presence of militants in Awnira village of Zainapora area of the district.

As the forces were conducting searches, the militants opened fire which was returned.

Five soldiers were injured in the gunfight on Saturday and had to be evacuated to 92 Base Hospital of the Army for treatment. Two among them succumbed to injuries on Saturday night. They were identified as Sepoy Ilayaraja P, a resident of Tamil Nadu, and Sepoy Gawai Sumedh Waman from Maharashtra.

Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.

Leave A Reply