Govt to look into demand: Conrad
SHILLONG, Dec 4 (Newmai): With family members putting a strong demand for a CBI probe into the attack on CSWO president, Agnes Kharshiing and her aide, Amita Sangma, Meghalaya chief minister Conrad Sangma has assured to look into demand.
Conrad made this assurance after meeting the immediate family members of the two victims on Tuesday where a strong demand was made for a time bound investigation by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) into the incident.
A joint memorandum signed by 19 family members was also handed over to the chief minister by Agnes’s brother John F Kharshiing in the presence of Amita Sangma and relatives.
The state government had earlier announced its decision to set up a fact finding independent inquiry into the brutal attack on the two women activists.
“Since the family has insisted, asked and requested for a CBI probe, we will examine the matter. Whether it will be a judicial inquiry or an independent agency inquiry, we will discuss again and take a call,” Conrad said after the meeting.
The chief minister, however, said that his government preferred judicial inquiry. “I think a judicial inquiry will do more justice to the whole inquiry process as there are many legal aspects attached to it,” he said.
Agnes and Amita were critically injured when they were attacked by a group of people, suspected to be coal mafia, at Tuber Sohshrieh village in East Jaintia Hills district, just after taking pictures of coal laden trucks on November 8.
They alleged that the failure of administration to address the issues of mining has resulted in the creation of criminal acts.
Elaborating more on the stand of the family members, John F Kharshiing pointed out that investigation into the murder of RTI activist from Jaintia Hills Poipynhun Majaw in the same district is yet to make any headway.
Meanwhile, the family members also expressed their gratitude to the state government for extending assistance and intervention in Agnes’ and Amita’s treatment.