DIPHU, Nov 18: Representatives of more than 24 social organisations on Sunday demanded the state government and Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council (KAAC) to immediately withdraw the notification for nomination of three non-tribal persons as the members of autonomous council (MACs) to the KAAC saying that it would go for a vigorous movement if the government fails to cancel the notification immediately.
“The state government will be responsible for any untoward situation arising out of it,” leaders said addressing a press conference at District Press Club of Karbi Anglong here on Sunday.
Of 32 MACs, of the KAAC, 28 are elected representatives of people, while four are nominated members. In the last week, Assam Governor Jagdish Mukhi had nominated four persons – Ajit Dey, Chandra Bahadur Chhetry, Baburam Kisko and Seema Ronghangpi – to the council. The nomination triggered off controversies in the twin hills as three of the four MACs are non-tribals and not from the unrepresented communities of Karbi Anglong- Rengma Naga, Kuki, Shym (Man Tai speaking), Garo and Khasi.
“Assam government and KAAC have violated the Sixth Schedule of the Constitution of India by nominating three non-tribal persons as MACs to KAAC,” adviser of these organisations and retired IAS officer JI Kathar said.
“The government has neglected the indigenous communities who are unrepresented in the KAAC,” Kathar said.
“Assam government could have nominated any four from indigenous communities of Karbi Anglong. The nominated MACs should be from among those with contribution in arts, sports and such like,” Kathar said.
Kathar also came down heavily on chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal and chief executive member (CEM) of KAAC, Tuliram Ronghang and said, “It is clearly an endorsement of Assam government and KAAC to the Banga Senas who are carrying on the move to replace Karbi Anglong by Banga Bhumi. The government is turning a blind eye to this anti-Assam, anti-tribal and anti-national underground Banga Sena. We condemn Banga Sena and Banga Bhumi.”